Annotations and Antiquarians

Work on my short story continues apace; with the skeletal structure of the story and details of the dramatis personae and locations in place, the words are starting to flow freely.  I hope to post something of the story itself, but the nonlinear method of my writing is making it slightly difficult.

In any case, I wanted to talk about two items of interest; I have been reading the blog called the Digital Antiquarian (found at http://www.filfre.net) which has been covering the development of home computers since the 1970s, and the parallel development of computer games (with a special focus on adventure games, including the text-only 'interactive fiction' types that I'm working on).  Currently he's reached the debut of the groundbreaking game Civilization, although I've not reached that point yet myself in reading.  It's very susceptible to falling in a 'clickhole' where you continue to read article after article after article...


I also managed to pick a copy of the Annotated Frankenstein, by Leslie Klinger.  Klinger is known for his amazingly well-researched annotations for classic literature such as the classic Sherlock Holmes stories, the original Dracula, and selected works by HP Lovecraft.  It beautifully captures the Romantic era, and has a number of surprises (none more surprising than the significant differences that Mary Shelley made between the original and later editions).  He also goes into great detail in all his books of not only the changing critical analyses through the years, but also the various adaptations and other works inspired by the original.  I highly recommend any of his books, although be ready for a long read...

Comments

Popular Posts