Pyramid 2000 (Adventure)

 Back in the day, while visiting my cousin, he showed me some of the adventure games he had for his TRS-80.  One was a pyramid treasure hunt he was having problems with.  After starting it, I began to notice some similarities with a certain other game.   By the time I had to release a living bird statue to get rid of a snake, it was pretty clear this was just a reskinned Colossal Cave.

Now, almost 30 years later, I found a copy in my examining the Adventure variants.  Is it worth playing?  Not really.  Unlike the others, nothing is really added.  In fact, it is a rather truncated version; a significant number of locations and puzzles are missing.  The cuts are almost arbitrary; the twopit room is kept, but the oil pit is just... empty.

The only novelty is the Egyptian theming and a few tweaks in puzzles and treasures.  Instead of a trident to open the clam, a jeweled key is used to unlock a sarcophagus.  Magic words are absent; in place of "plugh", there's a panel to push that has the same effect; the pirate becomes a mummy.  There isn't even a win message; you max out your points and quit.

Ultimately, even going into a historical journey into early adventure games, this isn't particularly worth it.  Next time, I'll talk about one the expanded versions of the original Adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts